The Performing Arts Steering Committee submitted a report to City Council on March 4, 2019
Click here to download the Performing Arts Centre Steering Committee Report 03.04.19
Of note, the committee established a vision statement and guiding principles for the project that are very exciting:
The Performing Arts Centre (PAC) is a multi-use performing arts and community facility that showcases both emerging and experienced performers. The PAC is a vibrant regional hub that energizes the community and captures the cultural and economic vitality of live artistic performance.
The PAC will always be a busy space. As a vibrant hub for the community, the facility will support and foster a variety of performing arts and community-based uses. It will be versatile and nimble, designed to grow, develop, change, and adapt alongside our evolving community.
A successful PAC will enable collaboration among artists, arts groups, community partners, and businesses. It will be supported and used by as many stakeholders as possible and could serve as an anchor for the potential future development of an entertainment district.
The PAC will provide space for all ages, abilities, and backgrounds to come together to share in the performing arts. It will create opportunities for members of our community to share in programs and performing arts presentations.
From the construction of the building and its operations and amenities to facility
programming and presentations, all PAC decisions will help create a viable facility now and for years to come.
Thank you for your support!
Lethbridge City Council has demonstrated their commitment to building a performing arts centre in Lethbridge in their recent Capital Improvement Program!
On May 23, 2017 City Council approved the 2018 – 2027 Capital Improvement Plan, prioritizing projects over the next four years. The following resolutions were passed by Council:
- Part A: THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT $6,200,000 (2018 dollars) for detailed design be included in 2021.
- Part B: THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT the 2018-2027 Draft Capital Improvement Program be amended to include $375,000 for a Performing Arts Centre study commencing in 2018, Project D-34 (Draft CIP: D-50), Performing Arts Centre;
- and FURTHER BE IT RESOLVED THAT THE remaining $62,000,000 (2018 dollars) for construction be included in the 2022–2025 Capital Improvement Program with funding contingent on a Provincial Municipal Sustainability Initiative (MSI) replacement program;
- and FURTHER BE IT RESOLVED THAT a Steering Committee be established for this project with members of City Council included in the membership;
- and FURTHER BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Steering Committee include, as part of its oversight on this project, the development of a Business Plan and Operational Options to be presented for Council’s consideration and approval;
- and FURTHER BE IT RESOLVED THAT the City Manager develop a funding strategy around Project D-34 (Draft CIP: D-50).
Thank you to our many supporters who emailed, called and wrote letters to Council expressing your support for this project and thank you for signing up to be a member of the Next Stage, demonstrating support to allow us to share your name with Council on our list of supporters.
The work of the Performing Arts Centre Advocacy Group is not complete. The group will continue to work in the community, bringing awareness of the need for the performing arts centre in our community. We will also keep Next Stage supporters up to date as the project progresses.
It isn’t too late to show your support for a Performing Arts Centre by purchasing a membership in the “Next Stage” initiative. Your name will be added to a list of community supporters and you will receive e-newsletter updates on the project. Receive a button and/or window cling to demonstrate your support. Money received from the Next Stage initiative will go into a dedicated Arts Re:Building fund to help move the project forward.
Here’s how you can help:
- Join The Next Stage Initiative by purchasing a membership for $5. Available at the AAC 7th Street Office, Casa and online at lethbridgeperformingartscentre.org.
- Display your support by wearing the Next Stage Pin or by displaying the Next Stage Window Cling.
- Use the hashtag #nextstageYQL on social media when you attend performing arts events in Southern Alberta.
- Be sure to connect with us on Facebook!
Questions? Visit lethbridgeperformingartscentre.org
Great news about the future of a Performing Arts Centre in Lethbridge! After much deliberation this morning, Finance Committee has unanimously voted to approve the following:
- $375,000 in 2018 for final planning, location selection and financial model (including operating model);
- for City administration to strike a steering committee to begin work on the planning; $6.2 million in 2021 for detailed plans;
- and for City administration to develop a funding strategy (during this 2018-2021 CIP) for the full construction in the next CIP (2022 and beyond).
We are cautiously optimistic as the final approval is not until Tuesday, May 23 during a regular meeting of City Council. We are encouraged by the commitment to the arts City Council had demonstrated this week.
This would not have been possible without the community rallying around this project. It was mentioned several times during the discussions.
The Performing Arts Centre Advocacy Group thanks the Allied Arts Council for supporting the dream of a stand-alone Performing Arts Centre that benefits the entire community.
Please read their official response here.
Video #3 in our series of educational videos about the need for a Performing Arts Centre.
Lethbridge is boring?!? We don’t think so!
Please share the link to this video with your entire network. #yql #yqlarts #nextstageYQL
Video #2 in a our educational series on the need for a Performing Arts Centre in Lethbridge – Capacity Conundrum! Please share with your networks!
Stay tuned for Video #3!
We’ve added letter templates to help people write letters of support. This is a PDF that you can download and edit in Acrobat or convert in Word.
We hope to add more templates in the near future, so please check back.
Download template A here!
Download template B here!
Do you know someone who suffers from Casa Confusion? Share this video about the difference between an education + production space and a Performing Arts Centre.
Don’t forget to tag it #nextstageYQL!